Assist in managing all the production crops at Live Oak Farm to ensure quality salable products using the most effective and economical growing methods. Assist in development and dissemination of the appropriate growing and propagation processes and techniques. Assist in training employees in WPS and MSDS standards. Assure greenhouse facility and equipment is maintained and functional.
1) Maintain propagation ideals and growing schedules for all Live Oak Farm production crops to ensure adequate rooting and growth according to customer requirements.
2) Set and monitor watering and fertilization schedules to maintain optimum growth.
3) Maintain mist schedules in the propagation areas.
4) Release product for pinching, harvest, shipment ensuring product meets customer’s valid requirements (i.e. moisture, height, rooting, maturity, insect and disease free, etc.)
5) Communicate quality or scheduling problems to appropriate parties in timely manner.
6) Communicate with others on growing staff as to changes in procedures, crop requirements, assignments for propagators, etc.
7) Monitor employees to ensure all safety rules housekeeping rules and procedures are adhered to.
8) Maintain proper growing environment with use of ARGUS computerized environmental systems in enclosed greenhouses.
9) Ensure schedule for proper maintenance of greenhouses and equipment is followed by growing and maintenance staff.
10) Coordinate with Maintenance Department need for necessary repairs and/or preventative maintenance tasks.
11) Coordinate with Inventory and Production departments as to space utilization, movement of product, availability of product for shipment, etc.
12) Assist in budgeting labor and materials for growing areas.
13) Rotate weekends and holidays for scheduling work for growing staff. Required to wear a radio to be available for problem solving and providing information to staff.
14) Must have good attendance.
1) Direct supervision of three associate growers
2) Participation in Frost Patrol either day or night.
3) Participate in weekend duty.
4) Assign workload to members of growing staff on all shifts.
5) Address employee relation problems. Maintain documentation on employee issues such as attendance, performance issues, corrective action, etc.
6) Conduct one on one coachings as necessary.
7) Conduct performance evaluations of employees under direct supervision.
8) Fill in for other growers in case of illness, vacations, meetings, or other absences.
9) Assist in training of Associate growers, Grower’s helpers, scouts, and spray personnel.
10) Maintain crop records such as pesticide applications, fertilization and watering schedules, etc.
11) Willing to work a varied schedule with overtime, evening, and weekend hours as necessary.
JOB SKILLS REQUIRED:
1) Minimum AA degree/BA degree in Horticulture or related field preferred.
2) Minimum of Five (5) years in propagating and/or growing experience in container products.
3) Current pesticide license required or must obtain one within 60 days of hire.
4) Previous experience with document, database, and spreadsheet computer programs. (Microsoft Programs preferred).
5) Previous experience with computer environmental programs. (Argus Preferred)
6) Effectively demonstrate leadership skills through setting a good role model for others, using interpersonal skills when dealing with difficult matters
7) Ability to effectively communicate using verbal and written communication skills.
8) Ability to coordinate between several departments, using good communication and interpersonal skills. Able to maintain good relationships while taking in account multiple personalities.
9) Ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with employee issues or in dealing with other supervisors and managers.
10) Ability to analyze and make decisions on best methods while using good judgment.
11) Must be up-to-date on Worker Protection Standard laws.
12) Willingness to adhere to all company procedures, safety and house keeping rules and to effectively communicate these to employees.
13) Bilingual – English/Spanish highly desirable.
Some work is completed in greenhouse environment with temperature extremes with moist, humid conditions. Floors are frequently wet. Walks are uneven and made of concrete or Sand covered with ground cloth. Work is completed between narrow aisles. Some work is with plants grown outdoors under saran and on sand covered with ground cloth. Work will be done in natural weather conditions including hot and cold temperature extremes, rain and wind. When required, wearing of personal protective equipment (i.e. Boots, respirator, Tyvex suits, goggles, gloves, etc.) Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds